Industrial Relations Commission of NSW

Industrial Relations Commission or Fair Work Commission?

Most of the matters the NSW Industrial Relations Commission deals with are related to state awards and agreements covering public service employment in state government and local government organisations.

People employed under national awards (modern awards) and national agreements are covered by the Fair Work system.

Except for state and local government employees, most employees covered by the NSW industrial relations system were transferred into the national Fair Work scheme from 1 January 2010.

Work of the IRC

IRC Commissioners set employment conditions and fix wages and salaries through the creation of industrial awards and the approval of enterprise agreements.

The IRC also makes contract determinations that involve some private sector employment in NSW, mostly in the transport sector.

The IRC also conciliates and adjudicates unfair dismissal applications, public sector disciplinary appeals, applications under the Police Act and industrial disputes.

Visit our Get legal help section if you need advice or representation for a matter to be heard by the IRC. 

It’s important to note that IRC registry staff are unable to:

  • interpret awards, enterprise agreements or contract determinations
  • provide information on rates of pay or award conditions
  • provide information about occupational health and safety, workers compensation, equal opportunity, anti-discrimination and harassment matters
  • recommend legal representatives or industrial advocates.

How to contact the Fair Work Commission

The Fair Work Commission is Australia's national workplace relations tribunal.

For information visit the Fair Work Commission website or contact the Fair Work Ombudsman on 131394 (employees) or Fair Work Helpline for Employers on 1300 824 132.

Last updated:

11 May 2023

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Top Return to top of page Top